Friday, November 16, 2007

Same As & Similar too?

What is the meaning and value of something "similar"?

When I think of valuable art, I always think of Picasso. He’s the most famous and prolific artist in my lifetime. He shares my birthday. And, he’s even interesting from a diamond cutter's point of view.


You see, Gabi Tolkowsky almost has me convinced that Pablo invented Cubism only after seeing the fabulous Cullinan's faceted worldview in his own minds eye.

In any case, Picasso made a fortune in his own lifetime. That’s almost unheard for an artist. Sure, Van Goghs go for millions today, but Vincent couldn’t afford the rent if you know what I mean.


Pablo on the other hand made plenty of dough and was a big celebrity, a living legend.

I actually saw him interviewed on a TV special about forgery, in particular art forgery. In fact, fake Picasso’s. It seems a certain big time museum owns a Picasso that a self-confessed art swindler swears is really a fake.


Big conundrum: Professional Experts versus Professional Thief. Who can you believe these days?

So they asked Picasso. And he said, “How would I know? I’ve made piles of art. It’s all over the world. Some of it is signed and some of it not. I can’t remember all of it”.


Then he added, “If it was sold as a Picasso and taken as the real deal, then that's what it is. Why interfere?”

I think its fair to say that the difference in value between “similar to” let alone “same as” were teetering on a very fine line in this case.


But, you know as well as I do that it would have been humungous!

No comments: