Thursday, May 10, 2007

What Color is G?

If you think defining and describing colorless has been hard, just wait until you take up the rest of the alphabet. It's fun, but it can get tricky.

Did you ever sit there and think to yourself, I’m going to spruce up my life, I’m going to paint my mailbox G, drive me a big old G color car, in my G color suit, wearing a G-wiz watch, thinking I’m a G-man!?

I doubt it, because G is not a color. It is a degree of not being colorless.

Thanks to modern gemology D E F are now classified as colorless, G H I J are called near colorless, the range between each letter grade gets broader as we go down the scale to Z. It's really pretty simple.

Remember, I was talking about the more common diamond colors - yellow, brown and grey? Any of these can be graded G if the tint is slight enough to fall within a range. That means some G’s might “warm” the ice, and others may look a wee bit “tan”. That’s OK. But it can seem confusing, especially when you’ve been thinking that your choice is between White vs. Yellow. It gets more obtuse when people start trying to compare colors on certificates.

Now we know that all G’s aren’t the same, even if they're graded by the same grader. If we take the same G around to several independent laboratories, then what do you suppose might happen? I'm guessing the chance for differences of opinion would go up.

No matter what anybody says though, every single expert I ever met agrees that the only way to know what you like is to go look at some diamonds (refer to Rule #1 below).

Rule #1
In order to appreciate the value of diamonds you have to actually look at them!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a customer a few years ago looking at two half carat princess cuts. One of them was a G/VVS1 for about 1900.00 retail and the other was an I/SI1 for about 1150.00 retail. After four seperate visits to the store, and the advice of his grandfather, who used to be a shareholder in the company, the customer returned and said, "Ben, why shoud I pay 750.00 for bragging rights? No one is going to know the difference unless I show the cert."

That story had a pretty good meaning to me until the store started with Hearts on Fire. Hearts on Fire has effectively taken rarity factors out of the mix. By providing only colorless and near colorless diamonds that all look the same from five tables away (thank you for that one Katrina) Hearts on Fire makes it obvious that a lab report means NOTHING.

raj lurba said...

(1)why diamond color start from "d"
not "a"?
i try to know exact answer of this question but i as failed for it.
Would you like to give satish factory answer.
thanks.

maarten said...

The GIA established "D" as the top color because they wanted to steer clear of all other systems already in use. Refer to my post entitled... Color and Colors