Thursday, May 3, 2007

What Is It About Diamonds?

I just returned from the American Gem Society’s annual Conclave. It’s a great time for re-energizing, visiting old friends, making new acquaintances, and especially learning about the latest news in and around our trade.

The emphasis is always on basic and continuing education. The AGS is the only organization I know of in the industry that requires all its members to take a re-certification exam every year to be in good standing.

This year’s theme was “Take the Vow” – directly linking romance and jewels. That may seem like a no-brainer, until you consider that jewelry can fulfill our basic needs as well as our most frivolous desires and extravagant luxury fantasies.

Admittedly, I’m a glutton for all the “technical” information and forums, but I’m increasingly curious about why diamonds in particular command the greatest and most enduring overall appeal of all gemstones.

On one hand, are we so strongly bonded to the physical material itself, just because of all its superlative properties? Is this attachment truly innate? Or, on the other hand is it more sentimental - an acquired taste, if you will? Is our fascination simply a cultural artifact, passed down through legend and driven by marketing? I don’t know.

Either way, the power and the magic of diamonds remains very real and alive.

I invite your comments.

6 comments:

Barry Cole said...

Hello Maarten, I believe our fascination with diamonds stems from what they symbolize. They help celebrate some of the most special times in our lives. With Hearts On Fire diamonds the symbolism is two-fold. Not only is someone wearing the diamond to celebrate an occasion, but knowing they are wearing a diamond that many believe is the most brilliant stone in the world shows the wearer that they deserve the best.

Aliera said...

Hello Maarten, what a brilliant idea to initiate this !

I love my Hearts on Fire engagement ring and earrings ! As a scientist, I scutinized various cuts and claims from everyone I could find with respect to THE diamond for my engagement ring ... the D color combined with the Perfect Cut on my Hearts on Fire stands out so much more than the rest of the field per se' that I could not make an "apples to apples" comparison ... My fiance' and I agree completely that this is indeed the Perfect Cut and worth it ! (So much so that he purchased earrings for me as well) Regards, Lynn

BH said...

Dear Maarten,
What is it about diamonds. It's this simple, they are beautiful. That is if they are hearts on fire diamonds. I recently got engaged.I more than love my Hearts on Fire Diamond ring. I can hardly take my eyes off of it. It has a brilliant sparkle in any light.It has a magnificent rainbow of colors, like no other diamonds I have ever seen. Fortunate for me, my Fiancé has stated that the only diamonds he will buy from now on are Hearts on Fire Diamond.When he proposed to me the name seemed perfect, for the ring did set my heart on fire. Thank you for making such beautifully diamods.
Sincerly Brandi

Unknown said...

Maarten,
I went to an emerald show last night to showcase an red emerald...supposedly one of a very few in the world. What caught my eye was the ring on a friends finger. Hearts on Fire diamonds. It was truly grand. It literally shot off sparks.
Athena

Unknown said...

I have been in the jewelry industry for 10 years now and I am excited to see customers reactions to the Hearts on Fire diamonds. I am an AGS registered jeweler and I sold "Ideal" cut diamonds for years before we carried Hearts on Fire. The Hearts on Fire diamond carries everything so far to the extreme that even a customer with no knowledge can see a difference under a shade from 20 ft. away. There is no second guessing when you own the best, and the ladies that have recieved a .36 ct are just as happy and evcited as the ones that have gotten a 2.34 ct(the largest I ahve personally sold--sight unseen mind you). I am personally about to be engaged and with the entire jewelry market at my disposal, my fiance' WILL get nothing less than a Hearts on Fire diamond.lubbock

maarten said...

Of course, I love everyone's passion for Hearts On Fire in particular.

In general, I am also very curious and interested in why people are attracted to diamonds at all?

Any profound thoughts and theories out there?